In 2005 Grantlea School merged with Seadown School to become Grantlea Downs. This resulted from an Area Review which focused on rationalizing the educational facilities in South Canterbury.
Grantlea School first began on the site in 1959 as Timaru began to grow to the north. Seadown School has a considerably longer history, having provided education in the area since 1890. The merger of the two schools was a harmonious one with both communities being fully committed to the continued success of a school on the Grants Road site, combining the names to establish Grantlea Downs School.
Our school has a healthy roll of 330 students. While somewhat hidden from the road, Grantlea Downs is set on spacious grounds with the Te Ahi Tarakihi Creek on its northern boundary, where the students have recently planted over 200 natives in conjunction with ECAN and the Timaru District Council.
We regularly receive praise from the community who complement our students on their behaviour and conduct outside school. The community is proud of its school and every effort is made to encourage participation and involvement.